Tavern Tales!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What would you guys like to play?

4 posters

Go down

What would you guys like to play?  Empty What would you guys like to play?

Post by Admin Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:45 pm

So, once everyone has hopped in, it's time to figure out what we actually want to play. I posted the rules for a new rpg in open Beta called Tavern Tales, which is like an even more streamlined and modular version of Dungeon World without set classes. However, we don't have to play that if you guys don't want.

Assuming I would be GM to start, but others are welcome either from.the start or for other games etc, I also have DnD 4e and 5e books, Dungeon World, and a random assortment of others. Just suggest which system you would like to use.

Finally, we should suggest themes for what sort of game we want. Do you want it to be dark and gritty, or jokey in nature? Do you want it to be fantasy, scifi, something else? Feudal Japan, vikings, etc? Just suggest what sort of tone or setting you'd like.

Admin
Admin

https://3almigos.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

What would you guys like to play?  Empty Re: What would you guys like to play?

Post by Sinistergrinz Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:48 pm

I'm really open to anything, dark and gritty and fantasy are what I'm most interested in

Sinistergrinz

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:30 pm

Hex, if and when she joins, said she eas interested in a pirate game. I have an idea for a monstrous and/or dark game where you act either as slayers of grotesque monsters, undead, etc. Or if you guys wanted to be evil, you could be eliminating or recruiting the competition for your leader/master.

Still have the idea for a fantasy Japan setting knocking around, and the future magic/technology setting in space.

If Hex wanted, we could even port the one Spectre Slayers campaign we had over to the forum.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinistergrinz Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:51 pm

All of those sound interesting

Sinistergrinz

Back to top Go down

Post by Raiidin Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:17 pm

Hey peeps. This is Brice, in kennys little brother. Al, I love the feudal Japan idea for whatever but that pirates idea is also interesting, in also more of a gritty mature fantasy lover but I'm honestly down for anything.

Raiidin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeishi Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:29 pm

Nice to hear from you Brice! Ken said youve been jonesin some nerdness so hopefully this takes off. Its not the same as sitting around a table but for us wayward souls its what we got. Id be a fan of anything outside the norm. Been hacking goblins for too long now. Pirates or space (either sci-fi or farflung fantasy) sounds interesting but i could do a low fantasy game. Less goblins and dragons and more warring factions and politics. I know thats not easy to DM tho so that said, i'll play whatever.
Jeishi
Jeishi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:18 pm

Hello again, guys. Was gonna wait a while longer before deciding anything, but I think I have a pretty good idea for a dark themed world hopping sci fi future game (a real mouthful yes.) Basically, the players would act as either bounty hunters or mercenaries on the lookout for dangerous criminals and horrific aliens, to take them dead or alive (sometimes both).

I'd like to know what you guys think, as well as some input on what you'd like to see in the game if you like the idea. If everyone's on board we can hash out some details. If you guys have anything you'd like to add to the concept, feel free to post it.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinistergrinz Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:17 am

That actually sounds like a lot of fun, will you be posting what characters we can make and abilities and such?

Sinistergrinz

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:52 am

Assuming you guys would want to use this ruleset, you can read the rules for Tavern Tales here, which is what I was thinking of trying. It's super simple, with lots of customization. I gave a basic writeout of the rules for you guys in the thread, and the PDF has the full thing (of what there is for the Beta).

https://3almigos.forumotion.com/t1-tavern-tales-rules

There are some Traits that don't apply to the the type of game we're playing, but most of them you can come up with an alternate explanation. For example, we wouldn't be using magic items, but we might be using alien tech, psychic power, etc. So the traits relating to them could still apply, depending on what you guys would like to do.

You can be very creative with the traits. For instance, just because you're not a dragon, have scales, etc doesn't mean you can't take the Gem-Encrusted Hide trait. Maybe you have melded an alien item into your body, such as making a gun part of your arm, or a pair of goggles replacing your eyes.

A lot of this stuff relies on speaking with the GM, so feel free to message me or ask any questions here. If you are overwhelmed, I can help you as well. Before you pick things for sure, though, I'll want to ask everyone some stuff in another thread. I have a way to help simplify the process.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinistergrinz Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:47 am

My brother might be a little overwhelmed with this being his first dnd experience so he may need a little guidance along with me as well

Sinistergrinz

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:49 pm

Not to worry. I planned fully on helping you guys out. We just need to set up a few ground rules for the world of the game, then we can start building characters. In the meantime, read over the rules I posted in that thread,.and feel free to check out the pdf.

What I was going to ask, since this seems to be the direction we're going, is for each person to come up with 1-3 things they would like to include the game. This could be something as simple as "easy to die", a location, how common aliens and alien tech are, a theme (western space cowboys? ), a certain NPC in the universe, a type of government. You can even change physics. Anything. This is where you guys can impress your own will on the literal universe of the game.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeishi Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:41 pm

I like the idea alex! Should we start a new forum spot for this game and toss our ideas there?
We also need a name for the game...
As far as brice and ken go, the most important thing to remember is your choices are only limited by your imagination. Just because something isnt written as a choice doesnt mean you cant do it.
Might be helpful to have an idea what kind of character you want to play as. Remember its just about limitless what you can pick. You could say youre a god even. In turn the DM fine tunes that to fit the narrative. Perhaps your godly powers grow proportionately to anount of followers you have. Or perhaps another god stole your mojo. Of course, its good to try and think of what you are good at but dont forget to think about what youre bad at. Flaws add more flavor than your skills.
This game is basically a fantastical version of Telephone.
Jeishi
Jeishi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinistergrinz Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:47 pm

Having trouble dling the odd to my phone, anyway you guys could make a character thread with the traits and stuff, I can only play through my phone so that might cause issues

Sinistergrinz

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:12 pm

Yeah, I was going to get into that, but I was gonna wait for character creation until we're done with the worldbuilding portion, so we know what kind of characters you guys might want to play. But really, there isn't a hard limit. Just choose based on the theme and it can be anything, really. In tavern tales, you can even play as a dog or a robot or an alien. Hex is already considering an android/cyborg.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:16 pm

Sinistergrinz wrote:Having trouble dling the odd to my phone, anyway you guys could make a character thread with the traits and stuff, I can only play through my phone so that might cause issues
That's not a problem. I am on my phone right now too so I can't right now, but I can when I'm home. It'll be good to look at the traits and such to get some ideas, though I was planning on asking you guys what kind of characters you came up with based on the theme/world and then suggesting a list of traits from there. So once we've all given our ideas for what we'd like to be included in the game, and I get home, I can makr a thread for that in the Characters section.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:33 pm

Decided to make a separate thread anyways. You guys can.check it out here. https://3almigos.forumotion.com/t7-tavern-tales-space-adventure-worldbuild#32

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum