Tavern Tales!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Character idea

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Character idea Empty Character idea

Post by Raiidin Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:41 pm

So ill guess ill be the first one to rip out my idea. Im thinking of something along the lines of a treasure hunter that is searching for powerful items. Reason being that I can transmute a single ancient treasure into each limb which would grant me abilities based on what is transmuted. In my quest to become the perfect being. I have a kind of have a jack of all trades picture in my head as a character. Race is undecided.

Raiidin

Back to top Go down

Character idea Empty Re: Character idea

Post by Admin Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:28 pm

Sounds really interesting. I can already tell a few traits that would work for your character from the pdf.

- Detect Magic as an exploration trait. In the case of our game, you might have some innate sense for powerful alien technology.
- Gem-encrusted Hide as another exploration trait. Allows you to merge alien tech into your body.
- There are a ton of Transformation themed traits that you could use to alter your body, such as swapping body parts with creatures. There is also a trait that lets you make prosthetic limbs.
- There is a trait that lets you gain a bonus to anything you haven't tried before, called Beginner's Luck.
- One trait is literally called Jack of All Trades, though it is a bit difficult to use. It lets you temporarily use a trait you don't have.

If you have any more details I could help more. Like, are they a ladysman, do they have a deceiving look, do they like to use guns, robots, monoblade swords? What sort of background and personality would they have?   Don't have to answer all of this now, just keep them in mind.

Admin
Admin

https://3almigos.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Raiidin Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:44 pm

Where is that pdf located? I was thinking of being insanely driven for perfection to the point of selfishness and/ or betrayal. Willing to do what needs to be done to achieve his goals. I was thinking of taking a mage-like role( mostly bc I seem to be unable to think of a space like similar alternative) like I have already gotten my first ancient relic which I transmuted into my arm to control elements? I was also thinking my elemental control could be influenced by atmosphere (I.e. a dark world would be gravity based, fire world fire based.. So on and so forth..) just throwing,out ideas

Raiidin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:54 pm

The pdf is in the Tavern Tales rules in the How To Stuff section

Also, found another trait you might like. Eye For Treasure lets you find extra treasure whenever you find some. Basically you're really good at finding lots of stuff.

There is an entire Elements theme for Traits, so of you want to have something specific to that then your best bet is to look at those.

There is an interaction trait called Dark Bargain under Occultist that might fot you. Basically you can get things, but at a cost. It may be another artifact that's working in strange ways for you.

Besides that, mages type stuff is under the Arcane theme. 28Th page I believe is when traits begin in the pdf.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Raiidin Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:21 pm

So if I choose a dragon( for gem encrusted hide.. Can I not choose from other classes? What are the limits to each trait or characteristic? Sorry if I'm making you repeat things, trying to tread water here lol. I was thinking of a dragon type race. Leaning towards more of a walking,on two legs but still scales with wings, as opposed to a huge walking on all four traditional dragon.

Raiidin

Back to top Go down

Post by Raiidin Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:23 pm

Or once you choose a race do you have access to all of those said traits and abilities?

Raiidin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:33 pm

The themes do not restrict you in any way. They only serve as a way to separate traits to make them easier to find, and to give you a clue as to what type of character might use them, or if you have such a type of character, what traits might work for them.

So, you can choose traits from anywhere you want. Not from just one or two themes.

Also, there are no races in Tavern Tales. If you want to be a race with specific traits, you have to buy those traits using XP. Like, Hed wants to be a cyborg, so she had to buy things a cyborg would have as traits.

Oh yeah, and one last thing. I'm fine with magic if everyone else is, but you may want to talk about it in the worldbuilding thread in the Quests section. If not magic, your artifact could be some sort of advanced alien tech implant that lets you alter your body to become flamethrowers, laser guns, etc. Lots.of room for coming up with stuff.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Raiidin Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:08 pm

So I might be able to add a slightly clearer picture now. I'm thinking of sticking with that treasure hunter theme. I think I'm going to start with 2 in mind and 1 in spirit, making me intelligent while still giving me a fighters spirit. Ill go with gem encrusted to continue my perfect being role. I then believe that according to legend from the basic trait would be the best way to go. In combat I would put 2 in electrocute ( one of my limbs already having a treasure which put a cannon on my arm which I can put different gems in for different forms of energy.) that would leave me with 1 point. Which I'm kind of at a loss to do with. Let me know what you think

Raiidin

Back to top Go down

Post by oHiDeth Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:14 pm

Looks like you'd havr to put it into stats or save it for later. And just so I myself have a clearer picture it looks like you have.. 0str 0Finesse (I love that this game doesn't make that you unable to fight, it's awesome) 2 mind 1 spirit with 2 Combat traits (electro x2 yeah?) Explore 1 with gem hide and interaction with According to legend. Am I close?

oHiDeth

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:25 pm

You don't have to spend all of your points now if you don't wish to. You xan hold onto XP to spend later. That said, you could also choose to lower one of your stats below 0 to gain extra XP if there is something you are searching to buy in particular that you currently can't.

Also, what were you thinking about for the upgraded version of Electrocute that you purchased. Having a long range, hitting multiple people, lasting longer, giving them a lasting condition?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Raiidin Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:31 pm

Branching off to nearby foes was what I had in my mind.

Raiidin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeishi Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:42 pm

so let's break that down by cost.
2 mind = 3
1 spirit = 1
Gem-Encrusted Hide (exploration) = 1
According to Legend (exploration)= 2 (since its your second exploration choice)
Upgraded Electrocute = 3
That's your 10

To play off your the multi-purpose of your megaman arm, perhaps instead of super electrocute you could go with Jack-of-all-trades. It lets you take 1 temp trait (value 1) but with a flaw. This way you could pick any element combat trait you needed at the time (Assuming you dont pick another combat), and come up with a suitable flaw that might go with it. You trade off reliability for versatility. when you get more xp u can trade those points for specific ones you favor.

edit: realized if you pick that, you're kinda shoe-horned into not picking a combat trait ever since any combat pick would bump the cost and thus invalidate the idea. Still worth considering, but that is a strike against it

Last edited by Jeishi on Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jeishi
Jeishi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:43 pm

That aounds fair enough to me. So we'll say that it can also affect an additional foe withing a close distance to the first.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Raiidin Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:45 pm

I like that jack of all trades idea jeishi. That perfectly suits the thought process I had in my head with the versatility. So that would then save me an additional 2 pts correct?

Raiidin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeishi Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:53 pm

it would actually be your THIRD exploration choice, costing a grand total of 3 pts (ouch) but Jack-of-all and According to Legend are in the same category/theme so you COULD retrain them back and forth (My character helps people retrain really quick) so in theory you could start a quest or enter a region, get your clue, retrain to jack of all for elemental fun while in combat then if u find the clue, retrain back to complete the hook. (im not sure if Alex is ok with this, or if you need to switch back at all, since you technically already got the clue)
Jeishi
Jeishi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:08 pm

Would seem to defeat the purpose if you're literally gaining the benefit of both traits. It would seem against the spirit to find something using a trait, then immediately abandon said trait is what I mean. I'd say you can't retrain something you're currently benefitting from.

Another example would be having a.minion. You can't get the trait then retrain it and have a free minion. Or Stronghold. You would have to somehow lose it in the process to retrain.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Raiidin Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:18 pm

Yeah, I think I will forego encrusted( 3 points is A lot to swallow starting out, but I still like the jack of all trades trait

Raiidin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:20 pm

You can always just take gem encrusted hide later on.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Raiidin Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:28 pm

Okay peeps. So I'm going to try something else here.. I keep racking my brain about this character and I keep coming up blank, I just can't get a clear picture so its deterring (sp) me from getting a clear image of what I want.. That being said I'm trying something new

Raiidin

Back to top Go down

Post by Raiidin Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:33 pm

So I think I'm going to go with an assassin route. I am going to out in 2 points in finesse, and 1 point in spirit.(I've been jumping back and forth between wether to out this point in INT or SPR) and go -1 in brawn. Putting me at a total of 3. I am then going to use the combat abilities of Kensai and clone.. Also giving me 3. For interactions ill go with Sudden but inevitable betrayal as well as possess. Also puts me at 3. To finish off my spec ill put 1 into Without a Trace..any advice would be appreciated

Raiidin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:10 pm

Seems to all make sense to me. I do have two questions though.
1. How did you imagine your clone working? Like a shadow clone, separating yourself, growing them in a lab?
2. What is your concept behind Possess? You can have whatever traits you want, just wondering why you chose it specifically. I'm guessing it's to take over dudes and infiltrate using their bodies? Just wondering, is all.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Raiidin Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:25 pm

I was planning on asking you how that was limited... My image when it comes to clone is my exact replica. Equal in all ways physically. But the intricate details we can delve into later..(can it also use abilities? Can it vanish like I can? Does Kensai count for him?) seems to be your discretion. I visualize a scenario like this... Say we walk up on a group of 9-10 enemies.. I clone myself and vanish( I plan on having a quiet disposition). my clone with kensai sets behind one. I creep into a corner, possess one. Once fighting breaks out my clone and I start killing. My possession helps us. Also another enemy turns against them and afterwards says he has been working for me the whole time.. Essentially making a ten man odds into A situation where we are only outnumbered by a small margin. Let me k,ow where you would tweak it

Raiidin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinistergrinz Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:17 pm

Well, I'll just sit back and let my character take a nap, seems like you have it covered lol, maybe I'll say good job to keep you motivated lol

Sinistergrinz

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:11 am

If you plan on cloning yourself on the fly, then you are going to end up with some penalties. Something like splitting traits, stats, and HP among yourself and the clone. Or both you and the clone taking some sort of condition that wouldn't let you fight at full power until you come back together again/one of you is killed.

I'd be up to hearing if there's any specific way of balancing you had in mind.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Raiidin Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:05 pm

I have no specific way. I am willing to let decide the limitations.. I think I am just anxious to start and will be using this as a learning experience. Not tripping over my own feet and being useful is my main objective. In other adventures in the future ill be able to paint a little better picture..

Raiidin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next